VLDB implementation

From: <trudkin_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/12/13

I'm looking for references from folks who have implemented a 150 GB ++ Oracle database system. We are exploring Pentium and/or RISC based (DEC, SUN, AIX) systems. If you have and don't mind sharing some info please provide the following information:
- Hardware:brand, #CPU's, memory, total disk

  • Operating System
  • SQL*net version and flavor
  • RAID level if any (vendor if 3rd party)
  • Type of access: batch processing, OLTP, OLAP
  • # of users
  • average # transactions per day (if applicable)
  • Oracle version
  • Oracle options enabled: distributed, PQO, etc.
  • Are you running multiple instances: prod, dev, test??
  • What do you use for backup and recovery?
  • Any particular headaches or surprises (are we out of our minds to consider this?)
  • Would you choose the same path again?