Re: Privileges

From: Loren Budd <Loren_Budd_at_nt.com>
Date: 1995/12/12

stauffer_at_swarthmore.edu (stauffer) wrote:
>Running into a problem on a new, vendor-installed database and my mind has
>gone blank...
>
>Here is the error I get when a user tries to create a view:
>
>ERROR at line 4:
>ORA-01933: cannot create a stored object using privileges from a role
>
>The user has the dba role and was granted 'create view' explicitly.
>
>So, what am I missing?

Glenn,

   Privileges must be granted EXPLICITLY to the user who is creating the view. Although an account with DBA privileges may have implicit access to the table the view is based on via the DBA_ROLE, this is not enough. Simply grant SELECT on any necessary tables to the account that is creating the view and everything should work.

   Note: This is similar to the way stored procedures work - to reference a table in a stored procedure, the stored procedure owner must have been granted EXPLICIT access (ie. through explicitly executed GRANT commands) to the referenced tables. I'm not sure why this works this way.

Loren Received on Tue Dec 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message