Re: Forms4.5 row locking

From: Bill Norswether <billn_at_mcs.com>
Date: 1995/12/07

In article <DJ6IH5.1E9_at_CSUFresno.EDU>, stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU says...

>I have a form which has a base-table block, and in the block, there is
>a non-base-table item. In a post-query trigger, the non-base-table
>item value is set. This causes the form to mark the row as changed,
>and locks the row in the database.
>
>This process prevents any other users from using the same form with
>the same data.
>
>Am I missing something obvious? What is the "right way" to accomplish
>this? Until the user actually changes an item from the base-table,
>I don't want the row locked.
>
>(We can work around it by setting up another block with the
>non-base-table items, but this requires a bit of extra work to keep
>both blocks in sync by row.)
>
>Are there some item properties on the non-base-table item to set to
>keep the form from locking the row?
>
>Please, anybody with some hints on this, could you pass them along?
>
>TIA,
>Steve Cosner

Steve,

This may help: Go to the navigator, highlight the block on which the the query is displayed. Go to Tools -> Properties. Go to the Database section of the property sheet. You should see a locking mode property. Is yours set to "Immediate"? If so, change it to "Delayed". Now, the row isn't actually locked until the transaction is about to be committed.

Hope this helps.

Bill Norswether, Jr.
billn_at_mcs.com Received on Thu Dec 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message