Re: Bugs w/Oracle NLMs?

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1995/12/02

In article <49nrqj$jnc_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu> holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>From: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: Bugs w/Oracle NLMs?
>Date: 1 Dec 1995 16:24:35 -0500

>Jamie Stahl <103107.1135_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:

>>I am looking at Oracle and Sybase to run on a Novell server and
>>would like to know of any fatal bugs or any major headaches with
 Oricle.
>>My email address is 103107.1135_at_compuserve.com

>We've had very little trouble running Oracle 6, 7 and now 7.1
>on our Netware machine. Historically, there were problems
>when Novell released an upgrade patch that would cause
>incompatibilities with Oracle. What happens in many
>organizations is the "Oracle expert" is often not a
>"Netware expert" and vice versa.

>Now Oracle's installs check the current versions of
>other NLMs (or at least ask you to do the same) to
>ensure compatibility.

>Some have complained of SQL*Net losing connections but
>this is often attributed to lack of memory. I would
>suggest that Oracle on Netware requires more RAM than
>a similar UNIX config.

>Any more specific questions, please e-mail me.

>----
>Rich Holowczak E-Mail: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu
>Rutgers University http://pfmis.rutgers.edu/people/richhome.htm
We have noticed lost connections also under Netware. It seems that things improved when we got rid of 802.3 packets and switched to 802.2 exclusively. Why? I do not know. I agree with Rich's comments above especially about the memory requirements. We see client's who ignore our memory requirements do so at their peril. The best they can hope for is poor response time. Netware seems to like a lot of cache buffers (>30% free) when things are operating at peak load.

Jim Kennedy Received on Sat Dec 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message