Re: Basic Oracle question!

From: Sunil Mushran <smushran_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/11/30

The qs does not have all the details. Am assuming that your friend has Oracle running on a NetWare server. If this happens to be Oracle for Netware v7.1, then it does allow running multiple instances.

In the first release of 7.1 (7.1.3), SqlNet SPX v1 did not support connecting to multiple instances, So while one was able to have more than one instances running on the Server, one could only access one of the instances while using SqlNet SPX v1. But, this was not a major issue as SqlNet v2 (SPX and TCPIP) and SqlNet v1 TCPIP did support connecting to multiple instances.

In the next release of 7.1 (7.1.4), SqlNet SPX v1 was updated to support connecting to multiple instances.

What it looks like is your friend is still on 7.1.3 and thus the qs. Easiest fix would be to upgrade to 7.1.4.

SM.