Re: Running Pl/Sql in background

From: Christian Guenther <dbbetr_at_ztivax.zfe.siemens.de>
Date: 1995/11/24

ccev42_at_leonis.nus.sg (Computer Centre Visitor) wrote:

>We are working in Client/Server environment, the server is HP-UX Oracle.
>We want to post SQL or PL/SQL job in background, so that the end user
>can do something else after posting the SQL or PL/SQL job from
>his/her PC. The PL/SQL procedure will be called from Oracle Forms 4.5.
>We would appreciate if a viable suggestion is provided.

If you use Oracle V7.1.6 or higher, you could use the jobqueue-package.
You have to modify some init.ora-parameter and to run some scripts to use this package.
The names of the scripts are catjobq.sql and dbmsjob.sql. This package allows you to execute PL/SQL-Procedure in certain intervals or start it at a certain point in time. So you have the possibility to put such background PL/SQL-procedures in the jobqueue or you could make a procedure which starts every 2 minutes and looks in a table for requests to start a procedure. I hope this helps.

Christian

Christian Günther                   dbbetr_at_ztivax.zfe.siemens.de
Siemens AG RK M/Pdb32
Tel. 089/63643965 Received on Fri Nov 24 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message