Re: Datafiles size limits?

From: David Scott <dscott_at_is.net>
Date: 1995/11/18

In article <816632399snz_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>, aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at creating a multi-Gb database (20-30Gb).
>
> How do I find the limits to datafiles sizes, other than by trial and error!
>
> Oracle tell me that it's related to the underlying OS.
>
> I have a Sun Solaris 2.3 machine and Oracle 7.1.4. With this, I seem to
> be limited to 2Gb datafiles - and that seems a reasonable 2^31 limit.
>
> However, I thought that the newer Solaris versions supported larger
> files, in the terabyte range?
>
> Would Oracle support these larger files, or would it still be limited
> to 2Gb?

Our database is about the same size as yours; we run Solaris 2.4, with it's default filesystem. Datafiles are limited to 2GB here, though I think you can go higher if you use raw devices. Oracle can use the larger files if you use the raw devices. However, we are finding best results with 1GB files for our tablespaces; they are easier to manage and back up, and OFA naming guidelines still work in this situation.

Hope this helps, and let me know if I can answer any other questions - I really am enjoying the Sun/Oracle combination!

David Scott
...how can I keep from singing?
email: dscott_at_is.net