Re: Physical sort of a table

From: <nighr_at_platinum.com>
Date: 1995/11/18

In article <3sv5qt$or4_at_pellew.ntu.edu.au> John Humphries NTLIS 89-6292 <jwh_at_lhdu01.lhlg.nt.gov.au> writes:
>From: John Humphries NTLIS 89-6292 <jwh_at_lhdu01.lhlg.nt.gov.au>
>Subject: Re: Physical sort of a table
>Date: 29 Jun 1995 21:26:53 GMT

>Hi Vinod,

>I have that the same problem and couldn't find a solution. Clustering in
>Sybase appears to be the same as in DB2 but completly different in Oracle.

>I found a small section in the Oracle DBA handbook(Loney) that said the only
>way to do this is to unload the data, sort it and reload it. And that is what
>I do. A ProC program to unload the data in sort order and use the loader to
>put it back again. It takes ages to reload (lots of indexes) but it run on
>saturday night when no one is using it anyway.

>Trust this helps. If you can find a better way I would like to know.

>Regards, John Humphries - jwh_at_lhlg.nt.gov.au

If you had Platinum TSReorg you could tag that table to reorg itself in that sort order ever Saturday night. That becomes very handy when you have a lot of tables. TSReorg will keep track of dependent objects--constraints, indexes, functions, procedures--which are associated with your tables.

For more information call +1 708 620 5000, or in North America 800-442-6861.

--Bob Received on Sat Nov 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message