Re: Stored Procedures and Roles

From: Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1995/11/17

It's a "feature" (limitation) of any stored object: procedures, packages, views, etc. cannot use privileges received via a role. For example, if I have SELECT privilege on another user's table via a role granted to me, and I attempt to create a view on that table, the CREATE VIEW will fail. I must have a direct grant on the table in order to create a view on it. Same with procedures; if I've been granted access to a table via a role and write a procedure that uses whatever access I've been granted, execution will fail.

This is documented in one of the manuals; either Administrator's Guide or Concepts, I think. There is also a brief explanation in the Error Messages and Codes manual.

Paul Baumgartel, Principal Consultant              paulb_at_pcnet.com
Adept Computer Associates, Inc.