Re: DB_NAME in init.ora

From: John D. White <jdwhite_at_katie.vnet.net>
Date: 1995/11/15

Paul Collins (76004.2053_at_CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: I think you are asking for trouble changing the DB_Name they way
: you are doing it. The only supported why I know of is to recreate
: your database.

: paul

: --
: Paul Collins
: DBA
: DATASTORM Technologies

Not correct... you can change the db_name as follows:

  1. alter database backup controlfile to trace; this will produce a script imbeded in the trace file to create the control file for your db.
  2. edit the trace file to produce an xxx.sql script with the section outlined above.
  3. change the db name in this script.
  4. shutdown
  5. rename ALL copies of the control file to ....old
  6. change the db_name in the initSID.ora
  7. run the script from sqldba.... connect internal
  8. startup
  9. you be done

Good Luck!
Write if i can help.

--
John D.(JD) White Oracle Client/Server Consultant Inventor of the ATM
Whiteline Design, Inc. 7812 Blackwing Ct.Raleigh, NC  27615  USA