Re: Instance & Database

From: Phillip D. Jackson <delphi_at_mail.iag.net>
Date: 1995/11/12

You pose an interesting question. An Oracle instance is comprised of the daemon processes which may or may not be connected to an actual database.  This is the case when a new database is being created. The instance is "attached" to a physical database when the database is both mounted and opened. Therefore a single instance may be connected to only one physical database. However, when running in parallel, mutiple instance can be attached to a single database.

Please be careful when defining a database. Some persons have tried to extend PC orientations to an Oracle environment. A single Oracle database may service a virtually unlimited number of applications. I am reminded of one instance when I suggested that a moderately sized business might need only one Oracle database. The person with whom I was speaking increduously asked, "You can't use a single database to run the whole company, can you?" You can indeed! There are companies using Oracle to manage multiple terabyte databases. Received on Sun Nov 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message