Re: Performance and Optimizer problems under 7.1.6

From: <pplewe19_at_iadfw.net>
Date: 1995/11/07

In article <47n7qp$fhm_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, jimra_at_aol.com (JimRA) wrote:

> Based on this, I'm wondering if there is a problem in the optimizer
> when it has to deal with intermediate views. Does anyone have any
> comments or similar problems?
>
> I was all gung-ho about the optimizer until this occurred, now I'm
> having to re-visit my feelings on the subject (in other words, re-test
> the applications I've built using Cost-based under Rule-based.)

One problem we experienced was related to the cost-based optimizer and Oracle CASE version 6.0.6. One query that CASE issued was never resolved by the cost-based optimizer but was resolved in less than 2 seconds by the rule-based optimizer. I have read much on the ORACLE-L list about the problems with the cost-based optimizer. The only solution for us was to use rule-based optimization exclusively. Unfortunately, from what I have heard and experienced, all of the kinks have not been worked out of the cost-based optimizer. :( Received on Tue Nov 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message