Re: Windows SQL*Plus Hangs if "pause on"

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/11/03

John Dixon <john.dixon_at_bsis.com> wrote:

>Vibhavasu Vuppala wrote:
>>
>> We are running Windows version of SQL*plus 3.1. When the following
>> is done
>>
>> set pause on
>> select ...... (any statement)
>>
>> The SQL*Plus "Query Executing ..." window pops up and then the session
>> hangs.
>>

>By default the SQL*PLus PAUSE setting does not provide a prompt. This
>becomes confusing because when pause is set on the data returned by the
>query begins with a pause. Simply press <RETURN> and you will get your
>first screen full of data. (Be sure PAGESIZE is set to the number of
>lines on your screen.)

>You can also use SET PAUSE to define a prompt such as:
> SET PAUSE "press return..."

>See the SET command in your SQL*Plus User's Guide and Refernece.

This can be an entirely different problem. One that I've experienced with certain versions of SQL*Plus for Windows used in conjunction with SQL*NEt v2.1, and a non-blocking tcp/ip stack. You get a window popping up with a "cancel query" button that won't go away while the text window is waiting at a pause prompt. The window blocks the user from hitting enter, and the pause prompt waiting for enter blocks the user from pressing "cancel". Catch 22!

The solution is to...

  1. don't use "SET PAUSE ON" in the Windows version of SQL*PLUS
  2. get a newer version of SQL*PLUS that has the problem corrected. -- Chuck Hamilton chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving isn't for you. Received on Fri Nov 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message