Re: BEWARE the _at_CON

From: Roy Wagner <roywagner_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/11/03

I am using Personal Oracle 7.n on a 486/66, running it from Windows 3.1. My computer has DOS 6.22. I startup Oracle, the run SQL*Plus 3.1. Once I am connected I enter: _at_CON

Then the computer is completely locked up, CTRL-Z will do nothing.

Interestingly I thought I check if by any chance I had a CON.SQL file so I used the File Manager SEARCH from the top of the C: partition to search for "CON.SQL". I did this on my computer and on one running Windows 3.11.  Both found a 112 byte "file" named "CON" created with the current data and time that I ran the search in every directory on my hard drive (though NONE really existed. There is something about the "CON" word and Windows. This file is NOT found if you try and Find it on a computer with Windows 95.

I'm not blaming Oracle for the problem, but now that it is known, and if it does exist on everyones computer, there should be a trap for it in PO7. (It is not a nice situation to TOTALLY lockup ones computer.)

  • Roy -