Re: Exporting to a tape

From: Alexander V. Lukyanov <lav_at_gemini.yars.free.net>
Date: 1995/11/02

In article <46jaf0$9q2_at_news.via.at>, Christian_Pfundtner_at_msn.com (Christian Pfundtner) writes:
|> mary_at_mitra.com (Mary E. Hunt) wrote:
|>

|> >I am using Oracle version 7.1.3 on a Sun Solaris 2.4 Unix box.
|> You should upgrade if you have time 7.1.6 / 7.2.x are state of the
|> art..
|> >I was wondering if you can export directly to tape, and if so, what
|> >is the command to do this.
|> I havn´t done this since a long time, but as far I could remember
|> the follow should work:
|> exp usr/pwd file=/dev/rmt/0h ....
|>
|> > I know I can export to a file and then
|> >copy it to tape, but I'd like to instead export directly to tape.
|>
|> There are some issiues why this is better:
|> *) It is faster then exporting to tape
|> *) You can compress files befor moving to tape

It IS possible to export to tape compressed data in UNIX. Just create a named pipe and start background compress of the pipe to tape device, then start exp file=pipe_name. If you are using GNU bash, you can do it easier:

   exp file=>(compress >/dev/rmt/0)
But I don't know how to do that in other OS.

--
---
Alexander Lukyanov