Designer/2000 Repository Installation Problem

From: Jim Deeming <jwdxt_at_boco.co.gov>
Date: 1995/10/31

We are having trouble installing the Designer/2000 repository. I have TARs open with both the CASE and Networking support groups at Oracle, but I don't think we're getting any closer to a resolution - it's been over three weeks now.

The environment:

Designer/2000 v 6.0.5

SQL*NET 2.1.4.1
RDBMS v 7.1.4
AIX v 3.2.5

The problem:

  The install of the repository consists of several sql scripts, imports, etc. We run clean for a couple of hours. The process breaks when building several packages which, according to the doc, are being installed into the SYSTEM tablespace. I have made that arbitrarily huge, far more than the 25MB recommended in the doc. The process always breaks at the same point, when creating a package. The log file created by this script says,

END rmmtxi ;

           *
ERROR at line 1486:
ORA-12571: TNS:packet writer failure"

Then several dozen other "create package" statements fail, repeatedly complaining, "ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE".

This caused us (and Oracle) to pursue this as a possible SQL*NET problem, but nothing has worked. It is interesting to note that after several statements fail as mentioned above, the statements resume working again. This results in an incomplete repository install.

One other fact has recently come to light which makes me think SQL*NET is not the culprit. One of my programmers got tired of waiting on the resolution to this problem, so she attempted to install a repostory on her Personal Oracle 7. Now officially, Oracle does not support this, but information can be had from various sources that document how to make it work. When she attempted this, her installation failed at exactly the same place (loading rmmtxi.rpb), but of course SQL*NET was not in the picture. Instead, it went down in flames as a Windows GPF error.

Oracle gets no hits on their problem reporting database, but I cannot believe we are the only ones having this problem. Does anyone have any ideas for us? Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.

Jim Deeming
Boulder County
jwdxt_at_boco.co.gov Received on Tue Oct 31 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message