Re: Real time Oracle applications

From: Craig Harper <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1995/10/31

Richard Armstrong <richard_at_juno.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>The company I work for is investigating the possibility of using Oracle
>for a real time share price information service. There is not much
>expertiese in this area within the company and we would be grateful
>for any comments or advice. (is it feasible to use Oracle for real
>time applications).

Richard,

You can use Oracle for real time transaction processing applications. That is what we are doing with it. We are developing an OLTP system for stocks and currencies.

>We are also looking in to the possibility of caching some of the data
>relating to frequently traded shares permanently in memory. Is this
>possible ? Using a table space in a RAM disk has been considered.

To some extent this is already done for you by Oracle, the MRU (most recently used) data is held in ram. As other Items are used it moves toward the LRU(least recently used) side of the scale until it is flushed. Depending on how large your SGA is you may or may not be able to keep the data that you want cached in ram.

Good Luck,

Craig Harper
IFTN Received on Tue Oct 31 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message