Re: Pro*C and OCI

From: Steve Preisach <steve_at_mailhost.gate.net>
Date: 1995/10/31

In Article<471n9r$j1l$1_at_mhade.production.compuserve.com>, <75533.1104_at_CompuServe.COM> write:

> Could somebody tell me what the advantage of using Pro*C
> pre-processor is as oppose to making direct OCI calls to develop
> software using Oracle. Why would I want to go through another
> step of pre-processing a file and trying to debug a generated
> code? I realize that the ideal is to write "portable" embedded
> sql code so that the code one writes become easily portable to
> another DBMS vendor but how true is this? Is it worth a hassle?
> Isn't there a lot of work in porting softwares from one DBMS to
> another no matter what method you're using to write your software?
> Any comments would be appreciated...

I have found the issue is not portability, but convenience. Using Pro*C instead of OCI calls is significantly easier. You wind up with C and embedded SQL. It is quite easy to maintain. The only time I have had to look at the generated code is to determine how the VARCHAR2 structure was implemented, so my code was compatible. (and to find which line in the generated C code the compiler was throwing out. It's always been my fault.) Received on Tue Oct 31 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message