Re: Raid system for Sun Sparc 1000

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.au>
Date: 1995/10/27

"Kee Yip" <kyip_at_cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>We are looking at RAID disk array for our Oracle database
>on a Sparc 1000 machine.
>Anyone have experience/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks

We have a Sun Sparc Storage Array 100e connected to a Sun 1000. We use a mixture of "concat", striped, mirror and RAID5 configurations. The information in the manual and man pages is poor, but the product itself is good. By default it only uses 4 disks for a raid config, but to get better performance you will need more than 4 disks. There are plenty of people around who hate RAID5 and they will tell you not to even try it. In practise it is ok if you can handle the slow writes and can't afford the extra disks. You will want Prestoserve V 2.4.2 + at least 4Meg NVRAM in the 1000 if you use RAID5. Striping and mirroring work fine. We even got system swap out on the array (mirrored). Received on Fri Oct 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message