Re: Raid system for Sun Sparc 1000

From: David Scott <dscott_at_is.net>
Date: 1995/10/23

In article <1995Oct20.113318.18956_at_news.cs.indiana.edu>, "Kee Yip" <kyip_at_cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> We are looking at RAID disk array for our Oracle database
> on a Sparc 1000 machine.
> Anyone have experience/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. We tried RAID5, gave up on it because of write performance in a ~20GB data load; instead, we use striping and mirroring (more expensive and higher performance). However, if you are using a Sparc Storage Array, you can use the volume manager software to keep working with it to get what you want. I really like the arrays (we have 4).

If my answer isn't specific enough, feel free to ask more questions...

David Scott
...how can I keep from singing?
email: dscott_at_is.net