Re: DBAs : SID Change ?

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/10/23

Chuck, oratab ( usually stored in /var/opt/oracle on unix boxes ) stores the SID of all instances on the system along with the ORACLE_HOME location and a Y/N field. The dbstart and dbshut procedures read this file in order to startup and shutdown any instance with a Y in the third field. Dbstart and dbshut are typically called from your os system startup and shutdown command files.

HTH
Jim Gregory
>>==========Chuck Hamilton, 10/23/95==========
>>
>>I'm in the process of learning oracle and never heard of the oratab
>>file before. What exactly is it used for?
>>
>>mvallamp_at_us.oracle.com (Mahesh Vallampati) wrote:
>>
>>>Nope, oratab can have multiple entries for ORACLE_SID and init.ora and

>>Chuck Hamilton
>>chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com
>>
>>Incoming fire has the right of way!

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Mon Oct 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message