Re: Oracle redo logs

From: Dirk Breuer <Dirk_Breuer_at_p110.f5888.n240.z2.fidonet.org>
Date: 1995/10/21

nguye032 # maroon.tc.umn.edu_at_2:240/5889 meinte am 18.10.95 zum Thema "Oracle redo logs":

nmtue> From: nguye032_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu
nmtue>
nmtue>
nmtue> Hi
nmtue> Could someone help me to figure out the reason for the command
nmtue>  ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE
nmtue> not to work . I am trying to cycle thru 3 redo files. The command above
nmtue> just doesn't return, i had to kill the SQLDBA session to terminate it.
nmtue> Our env is HP-UX9, Oracle 7.1.3

A few Questions:
- how big are your redolog files? doing a low switch for a big full redo log
file may take some time. Ours are 80MB big an it takes up to 10min to archive them to disk when the system is running. Watch the directory for the archived redologs for a (fast) growing archived redolog file while executing the log switch.
- is your database still running? (after killing the sqldba).
  • is your archive directory out of disk space? if so it may be the reason for not returning from the command. if the first switch logfile command works fine, the following should do either. Further i can't suggest any solutions. Hope it helps Dirk Breuer