Re: Does Oracle limit file

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corp. <bmanry_at_ibmgate-aix.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/10/20

Neil Greene (ngreene_at_SHL.com) wrote:
>Bill Manry wrote:
>>
>> yyy_at_sun7mis.cc.nccu.edu.tw (Sunny Yeh) wrote:
>> >Does oracle limit the database file ?
>> >Can I create more than 1000 database file at the same time ?
>>
>> 1) Yes, there is a limit on the number of files comprising a database.
>> 2) The limit varies by platform/OS and should be mentioned in your
>> OS-specific documentation. On IBM MVS it's 2047 or 4095 (forget
>> which) but on many systems it is smaller.
>
>This limit is set by the parameter MAXDATAFILES at database creation
>time and is OS limited as stated above.

Yes, pardon my omission: there are two distinct limits. MAXDATAFILES is set by the DBA at CREATE DATABASE and can only be changed with a coldstart. However, MAXDATAFILES cannot exceed the platform-specific limit I described, which cannot be changed. It is determined by the way a particular platform has chosen to divide an internal database address into file number bits and block number bits.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
Standard disclaimer applies.