Oracle V6 to V7 migration

From: Acharyas <acharyas_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/10/19

I am in the process of upgrading an ORACLE V6 environment to ORACLE V7.x

We are running ORACLE 6.0.36 on a Sequent box running Dynix 1.3.1. This release of the O/S use BCS libraries. In order ro run ORACLE 7 on this machine
we will upgrade the O/S to Dynix 2.1 which uses POSIX libraries.

ORACLE supplies a migration utility that provides a straightforward conversion
path from ORACLE V6 to ORACLE V7. This utility recreates the V6 data-dictionary to conform to the V7 format. It also makes changes to the database file headers. Unfortunately this utility does not work for me apparently
due to the different nature of headers in the BCS vs the POSIX standards.

The other route to V7 Oracle is of course to use Oracle's export/import utilities.
This may not be an option considering the size of the database undergoing migration is approx 25GB.

Any suggestions on how to make the migration utility will be apreciated.

Please e-mail ideas to acharyas_at_aol.com. Received on Thu Oct 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message