Re: Restoring from Hot Backups?

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1995/10/14

In article <1995Oct11.012220.22634_at_zeus.franklin.edu>, dasdipa_at_zeus.franklin.edu (Dipankar) wrote:

> >In article 43096, Nalini<nalini.vallampati_at_daytonoh.attgis.com>writes:
> >>In article <DG6ou4.LFw_at_ranger.daytonoh.attgis.com> you write:
> >>In article <4588vj$so$1_at_mhafm.production.compuserve.com> Robert Barrell
 writes:
> >> Many people have posted questions recently about making hot
 backups, but
> >>we would like to restore a tape to another machine to verify that we will be
> >>able to recover from a crash should one occur. So, if anyone would be kind
> >>enough to post step-by-step instructions for recovery from a hot backup, we
> >>would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

[ ... lots of good advice deleted ... ]

I can highly recommend the Backup and Recovery Handbook by Rama Velpuri, published by Oracle Press. He not only gives a very good technical overview of how backup and recovery are handled internally by oracle and how the contents of the various files (datafiles, logfiles, archive log files, controlfiles) interrelate, but also handles 15 detailed recovery scenarios.

--
Wolfgang Breitling