Installing Listeners...

From: Darin Strait <dstrait_at_omni.voicenet.com>
Date: 1995/10/12

Maybe I am dense, or maybe I am a clueless newbie, but I am having a hell of a time trying to intall an Oracle7 Server for NT (Version 7.1.3.3.6) and SQL*Net 2.1 (Version 2.1.3.0.0). I want to use Named Pipes.

I've reinstalled Oracle from scratch, on a virgin installation of NT Server 3.5. While installing, I took all of the defaults for the installation of the server, which means that I also installed SQL*Net V1, but that is easy enough to turn off (or never start) via the Instance Manager.

My client machine is also NT. I ran Network manager, created my network definition, then distributed my listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files to the server and to the client.

I can start my services using the Instance Manager, but it has started asking me for a password, apparently of it's own volition. Since it started doing this, I have tried using the PASSWORDS_LISTENER listener.ora parameter. I can type anything I want to for a password in Instance Manager, but it does insist that I type a password.

After doing all of that, I can't connect to the instance. Of course.

If I go into lsnrctl, I can do a "status" command OK, it reports back "The command completed successfully".

If I do a "services" command, I get:

LSNRCTL> services
Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=shale.world)) TNS-01169: The listener has not recognized the password Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=orcl)) TNS-01169: The listener has not recognized the password Connecting to (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=bems.world)(PROTOCOL=NMP)(Server=shale)(Pipe= rcl))
TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
   WINDOWS NT Error: 53: Unknown system error LSNRCTL> This points back to a PASSWORDS_LISTENER problem. But I never defined one in the first place, and when IManager started asking me about passwords, I tried to punt by actually using the password facility. It seems that the services aren't expecting the passwords that I am giving them....

I've also mucked about with the listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files by hand, for the pure joy of the learning experiance (ummm...right) and to get a better idea of what it is that Network Manager actually does and expects me to type into it's (IMHO) clunky interface.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas. Help! Received on Thu Oct 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message