Returning a value to UNIX shell

From: Gordon Waddell <gwaddell_at_gssec.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1995/10/11

I've got a thorny problem I need help with in the shortest period of time.

I have loads of PL/SQL in a db, I have a sql*plus script which executes it and a UNIX shell script which calls this sql script.

I want to return a value from the PL/SQL so that it can be used as the exit code (via the exit command) from sql*plus.

I almost have it using temporary tables and bind variables but I cannot get exit to take a bind variable name.

I could also be on completely the wrong track.

If anyone therefore, knows how to get a numerical value from a PL/SQL procedure to the UNIX shell level please tell.

	Thanks

ps
	Could all replies be mailed (because I have intermittent trouble
with news) and posted (so other people can find out the answer).

Cheers.

--

// Gordon.Waddell_at_gssec.bt.co.uk //
// Glasgow Engineering Centre, BT phone: 0141 220 6150 fax: 0141 220 6100 //