v7.0 - v7.2 (dba_segments view)

From: Glenn Travis <gtravis_at_richmond.infi.net>
Date: 1995/10/10

It appears that the columns initial and next extent from the dba_segments view has changed to store bytes rather than Oracle blocks. I'm not sure what version this happened, but v7.2.2 seems to be storing bytes now.

Can anyone confirm this?

(Of course I tried Tech Support first - waited 15 minutes (my dollars) for a person, then an operator came on and said they were receiving too many calls and could they call me back in about an hour... this wasn't even a front-line person, so I couldn't even leave a message!) What would be all do without the net?!? Oracle Tech Support has been the worse of any software vendor I have dealt with over the past year...

anyway, anyone else using v7.2.2? I have a script which examines the next_extents and reports any segments which will need an extent larger than the largest available extent in the datafiles for that tablespace. The change is the dba_segments table altered the output from my query and caused a little panic. It's a nice script if anyone wants to see it.

--
Glenn Travis
DBA  (Ingres/Oracle/Sybase)