Re: Views being damaged

From: Roger Harris <rharris%gfumhcc%uskgfms0_at_maxwell.attmail.com>
Date: 1995/10/05

>After the create view, it works very fast a few times then, all of a sudden,
>there is something that goes wrong somewhere and every use of the view
>generates thousands (read sometimes millions) of recursive calls. The server
>uses 100% of its CPU, every user has a bad response time and, the user sending
>the select never receives any response until the unix process is killed.
>
>We run Oracle 7.1.3 under Sun Solaris. We think that the problem was not
>present with Oracle 7.0.16.
>
>Does somebody ever get that kind of problem?

I ran into this same problem several months ago with 7.1.4 on HP/UX. Something gets confused when the view gets invalidated due to a change on a dependent object. Speak with Oracle support and reference bug number 246213. There was a patch available for our platform. It is also supposedly fixed in 7.1.6, but I can't verify it. Recompiling the view manually (with alter view recomplile) is the suggested work-around.

Hope this helps.

Roger Harris
DBA
Kraft Foods
White Plains, NY Received on Thu Oct 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message