Re: Data Loading

From: Francisco Piragibe <piragibe_at_iis.com.br>
Date: 1995/10/03

huizinga.peter_at_syncrude.com (Peter Huizinga) wrote:
>What is the Best way to do Data Loading.
>
>I would like to load in Data from Four tables into one for summary.
>
>PL/SQL, a procedure, a package, a stored procedure ?

>Peter Huizinga
>Ft. McMurray, Alberta
>CANADA

The four objects you mentioned are, in their very nature, PL/SQL programme blocks. So, the performance of that four are nearly the same, with a very very slight advantage towards stored PL/SQL blocks, that do not need to go through parsing and binding on every new execution.

If you don't mind my saying so, the real point here seems to be when to perform summary updating, and not how to do it. You can use PL/SQL to update the summary table in triggers, linked to the four detail ones, or in batch programme units, that will run overnight. The first alternative will provide your users with on line summaries and, sometimes, costs very little in response time; the second one will make your daily processing lighter.

Best regards Received on Tue Oct 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message