Re: How to release acquired locks

From: Loren Budd <Loren_Budd_at_nt.com>
Date: 1995/09/28

>Actually I am talking about deadlocks. When two sessions try to
>update the same row in a table one session is blocked indefinitely.
>This is a deadlock condition not a blocked condition as you allude to!

Paul,

   This is NOT a deadlock situation - what you are describing is blocking, where one session must wait until another finishes before it can complete it's transaction. When 2 sessions try to update the same row, one of them actually IS updating it and the other is waiting to update it. With blocking, eventually the blocked transaction will get it's kick at the cat depending on when the blocking transaction decides to finish. With a deadlock, neither transaction will EVER finish because they are both waiting for resources the other possesses.

LB Received on Thu Sep 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message