Open Letter to Oracle re Linux (pls read and follow if you agree)

From: Oracle FAQ <orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 1995/09/21

Dear Oracle and fellow Oracle users
This is an open letter, if you are interested in Oracle supporting Linux directly, please follow on with a simple line like 'me too' editing out most of the letter. Oracle Corp people read this newsgroup, and if enough interest is shown, they might get off their collective bums.

Linux is the perfect UNIX for demonstration CDs as Oracle can easily include the OS on the CD that they prefer, but allow those with a Linux already installed to just load Oracle.

Oracle already distribute GNUish stuff for linking SCO (what do you think idar, idld, etc are?).

It is perhaps the preferred system for people at home who are serious developers and can be ambassadors for Oracle.

Even now there are commercial organizations (some even in the Australian top couple of 100) who are asking for Linux versions of applications.

The first major RDBMS company to support Linux is going to make a killing. And if they also write add-ins to the Andrew User Interface System like org or table, and distribute it (even unsupported), then we might even kick MS-Word (heroin for companies) in the teeth.

AUIS for those of you who don't know is an X-Windows group of WYSIWYG tools, using ASCII files, but still permitting Object Linking and Embedding.

Come on Larry, I agree that PC's are a pain - what we need to get rid of them are smart X-terminals with networking. Linux is a good start.

This is said in a spirit of suggestion to Oracle, not criticism.

Regards,
David
orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au

orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au                 (private mail to dtb_at_bf.rmit.edu.au)
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/OracleFAQ   ftp://ftp.bf.rmit.edu.au/pub/Oracle/
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/Oracle      http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~orafaq

-- NOT TO BE ARCHIVED IN ANY MANNER ON MICROSOFT NETWORK --