Is PL/SQL good for one thing only?

From: Joe Panico <jpanico_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/09/15

Hi,

All the PL/SQL example programs that use loops have exactly the same structure-- using the cursor, step through the rows of the target table and compute some value based on its columns. In other words, all the examples look like transaction processing. Is PL/SQL a real language, or it more like some kind of a macro for TP. For instance, can I use PL/SQL to set up a loop that will: step through the rows of a table, use the values of one of the columns as a another table name on which to perform a differenct query on each iteration of the loop. I would like to be able to step through the USER_TABLES view and print out the structure of each USER_TABLE that meets certain criteria. But I want control of the formatting of the output, so that I could see something like the output of the DESCRIBE statement for each table.

Can someone at Oracle say whether this is possible with the base PL/SQL package and comment on the flexibility of PL/SQL in general?

Thanks

--

Joe Panico
NeXTStep/OpenStep Developer

jpanico_at_netcom.com

/* Please no NeXTMail, I can't read it at this address */