Re: Sybase vs. Oracle

From: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com>
Date: 1995/09/14

Gordon E. Hooker (gordonh_at_acslink.net.au) wrote:
: jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com (Jay Walters) wrote:

snip snip

: >On the other hand, SYBASE pretty much does all space allocation on a
: >dynamic fashion, so tables are never contiguous. Just because your data
: >pages are next to each other in the clustered index, they aren't
: >neccessarily any where near each other on the disk.

: >I think a lot of people jump on the row level locking issue and make a
: >big deal of it, when you can always design your application to take that
: >into account.

: Interesting...

: You design your application so data is spread randomly over the disk?
: Or train the users not update, insert data that is on the same page?
: Better still, you could design the system so only one row fits on a
: page...

: Wish I thought of that....

: -----------------------------\ooOoo/-----------------------------------
: Gordon Hooker MACS PCP ,--_|\
: 25 Clarke Street, Ripley, Queensland, 4306, Australia / \
: gordonh_at_acslink.net.au \_.--._/
: mobile: 018883835 phone: 61-7-2889716 V
: It is far better to remain silent and appear a fool, than to open ones
: mouth and remove all doubt...

Please see above ^^ for Mr Hooker.

Perhaps you have never tried to build an application where your primary key is sequential, or had a hot spot.

While you flamers can flame, I have yet to have anybody tell me that I can build this 3000 TPS OLTP system with ORACLE. Don't get me wrong, ORACLE is my favorite database. Really. It's just much easier than I care to admit to work with SYBASE even with the 'problems' which I laid out above, such as lack of row level locking.

Jay Walters
Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club Received on Thu Sep 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message