Re: Win O7.1, Snapshot not enabled

From: Loren Budd <Loren_Budd_at_nt.com>
Date: 1995/09/13

>This is a query for an associate:
>
>He's attempting to do a Snapshot of a table in a local database
>that is open--he has DBA privileges and the Snapshot button is
>greyed out.
>
>This on Personal Oracle 7.1, running under Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
>
>Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, how did you get
>around it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>- --tots

Firstly, the purpose behind snapshots is to bring remote data closer to home to improve query performance - I'm confused as to why you would want to take snapshots of local tables in the first place. Aside from that, I know that in order to perform snapshots, you need to to have Oracle with both the distributed and procedural options. Also, on both the client and source databases you need to run 2 scripts called CATSNAP.SQL and DBMSSNAP.SQL while connected as SYS. These will allow you to create and administer snapshots.

   Hope this helps.

Loren Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message