Oracle Forms - recognizing a user request to stop a process

From: Yaca R. Attwood <yattwood_at_world.nad.northrop.com>
Date: 1995/09/13

I am a DBA who is posting the following question for an user:

Problem: Recognizing a user request to stop a user process

     In one of my Forms 4.0 procedures, I open a cursor and fetch a number of records. For each fetched record, I use the 'host' command to run scripts that create flat files. I then use the 'host' command to run a DOS program (Clipper) that manipulates the flat files and prints Gantt charts. The user can indicate to the DOS program that he wants to abort printing, but I cannot find a way to pass the 'abort' back to the Oracle Forms loop.

     I don't want to force the user to say "keep going" each time the
program hits the bottom of the loop.  I've tried deleting the script that	creates the flat files and using "NOT form_success", but that just hangs
everything. I could put a file on the hard drive if the user has pressed the ESCAPE key, but I can't find a way to test from inside Oracle Forms for the existence/absence of DOS files.

     Is there any way (I do not have any of the Oracle Precompilers on my PC) I can pass anything (code, file, text, etc) from DOS to Oracle Forms? Thanks.

   User: Jo Mellis
         Northrop Grumman B2 Division
         Organization 0631/XC
         8900 E. Washington Boulevard
         Pico Rivera, CA 90660
         (310) 942-3347

E-mail should reply to: yattwood_at_world.nad.northrop.com

     Thank you,

     Yaca Attwood, one of several DBA's
     Organization 0641/XC
     Northrop Grumman B2 Division