Re: HELP: How can I find out how a table got deleted?

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_SHL.com>
Date: 1995/09/13

joe_at_access4.digex.net (Joe Nardone) wrote:
>Neil Greene (ngreene_at_SHL.com) wrote:
>: Wouldn't it be really cool if you could LOCK a table from delete. Or at least
>: let it ask you "Are you sure?". Could you imagine some script being run by
>: accident that nuked a bunch of your tables before you knew it. Sure, that
>: might be why they call us DBAs, because we don't make that mistake. But, it
>: can happen.
>:
>
>That's why (a) you should know if your code is potentially that
>destructive and (b) know how to do an export before testing it.
>
>And of course, you have the ability to revoke the DELETE privilege from
>any user. (or role).

Sure, this is true. I am well aware of the safeguard methods to protect my data. But, you can't get around operator or DBA error. That's just being human. Imagine you are sitting there with multiple windows on the screen to the development machine and to the production machine. You are just about to delete a table in development that isn't need and you get one of those bothersome users (or mom on the phone). Next thing you know, you've done typed the delete command in the wrong window.

Sure, you can restore from an export and/or you could rollback your command. But, I am just saying "What if?" It could happen.

Neil Greene
Senior Oracle Database Adminstrator
SHL Systemhouse, Inc.  		(PH) 714-562-4255 / (FAX) 714-562-5225
LA Outsourcing Center 		Email: ngreeen_at_SHL.com [NeXT/Mime mail accepted]