Re: HELP: How can I find out how a table got deleted?

From: David Trahan <dtrahan_at_tyler.ultranet.com>
Date: 1995/09/13

Tyler Schoenke <schoenke_at_mfa.com> wrote:

>We ran into a small problem today. While some people were working on a table,
>someone accidentally deleted all of the data from it. It will be difficult
>to populate, so it would be nice to find out how it happened. We asked all of
>our team members, and none of them remember deleting from the table. One way
>of avoiding it would have been to put a trigger on the table to move the data
>to a "lost" table, and tag the user's name to it.

>Since that wasn't set up, is there any way of knowing who deleted it? Note: it
>may have been from a interactive, or embedded SQL session.

For sensitive tables, you can enable object auditing which will track specified operations on specified objects. You could easily track all deletes from a certain table. Check the Oracle documentation for auditing stuff.

                        Dave
Dave Trahan
dtrahan_at_ultranet.com Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message