Re: use of tablespaces in oracle

From: Francisco Carlos Piragibe de Almeida <piragibe_at_iis.com.br>
Date: 1995/09/12

Your second instructor seems to be more right than your first. I've been installing small ORACLE servers for roughly 6 years.My customers usually have PCs running SCO UNIX SYSTEM V. So, I've faced very tight and strict options to configure tablespaces. Some general guidelines:

  1. You should try to avoid putting system tables, rollback segments, indexes and base data in the same tablespaces. The ORACLE system imposes widely different workloads on these objects. They grow differently and compete heavily for your disks. If you can (it's very seldom impossible to do so), create separate tablespaces for system data, rollback segments, base data and indexes.
  2. Try to put indexes, rollback segments and base data on different I/O paths (different disks, or different controllers). When you update an indexed table, the three will be active at the same time, which can overload your disk controllers and data buses easily.
  3. Besides the above mentioned parts of the database, there is still another major concern: the redo logs. They are very very active, unless you're just using the database for queries. If you can, put them on separate disks, too; if not, try distributing them among the disks you have (base and mirror copies of each), thus imposing an even load to your disk system.
  4. If your machine is a PC, you may be forced to use raw devices for performance. They make back up a lot harder, but pay off. If you find you will have to do it, use raw devices for everything, including the redo logs.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Best regards Received on Tue Sep 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message