Re: Sybase vs. Oracle

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1995/09/11

In article <42uq2n$4qt_at_ibridge.iohk.com>, Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com> wrote:
>I think a lot of people jump on the row level locking issue and make a
>big deal of it, when you can always design your application to take that
>into account.

It is a pretty big deal if you have dozens to thousands of applications running against your servers and you don't want to spend money paying each programmer to provide sensible routines to avoid locking problems. In our environment, we find that we have to spend a fair amount of time just making sure that all of our foreign keys are indexed to ensure that Oracle won't table lock on us. Putting it another way, once you are used to programming in an environment which takes care of record locking, you are unlikely to want to move to an environment without it.

--
Jack F. Love