Re: HELP ! how to "navigate" in FORM 4.5 trigger ????

From: Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/09/07

%> In article <42mukb$ufb_at_lantana.singnet.com.sg> sptong_at_singnet.com.sg (Tong Siew Pui) writes:
%>
%> From: sptong_at_singnet.com.sg (Tong Siew Pui)
%> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
%> Date: Thu, 07 Sep 1995 13:03:53 GMT
%>
%> In Oracle Form 4.5, you cannot navigate (example, go_block, go_item)
%> if you are using the on-message, post_block or pre_block trigger. You
%> also can't do that when using a when-validate-item trigger.
%>
%> If I need to validate a field after the user enter some value in the
%> field, what trigger should I use if I want the cursor to go back to
%> the validating field if the user input the wrong value. I tried using
%> post-block, but the go-item trigger is not allowed.
%>
%> What should I do ???

One simple trick is to have your restricted trigger create a timer with a very short expiration time, such that when the form returns for input, that timer will fire and since a WHEN-TIMER-EXPIRED trigger is unrestricted, you can do anything you want in there.

You might set a global variable from the restricted trigger which the WHEN-TIMER-EXPIRED can check to see what it's supposed to do when the timer expires if you don't want to create a differently-named timer for each possibility.

Hope this gets the thought-process moving.

  Steve Muench              Email: smuench_at_us.oracle.com
  Sr. Product Manager
  Tools Development
  Oracle Corporation