Re: Oracle Power Objects (trivial question)

From: Kasu Sista <sista_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1995/09/05

In article <42hjtu$nn5_at_cs3.brookes.ac.uk> dbranigan_at_brookes.ac.uk (Damian Branigan) writes:
>From: dbranigan_at_brookes.ac.uk (Damian Branigan)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Oracle Power Objects (trivial question)
>Date: 5 Sep 1995 13:39:10 GMT

>I've downloaded Oracle Power Objects from the website. Can anyone answer
>a blindingly simple question please ?

>I've created a 'session', I've created a 'table' in said session, I've even populated
>the table.

>I then created an 'application' and within that a 'form'. I dragged the table from
>the session and dropped it into the form. All that works fine.

>When I run the form (or the application) it says:-

> "Error connecting to database for session 'session1'"

>nothing to say what the error might be. This happens whether or not I use the default
>database and whether or not I 'connect' the session first.

>I'm using a default Blaze database here to the default DBA user,
>so in the session DesignConnect, DesignRunConnect and RunConnect are all set to
>'Blaze:' and seemingly work.

>In the form RecSrcSession is set to 'session1'.

>So what am I missing ? If I can design a form using a given session why can I not
>run the form using it too ? ['scoured the help text to no avail]

When you create the session, you need to name it by setting the 'Name' Property. That should not be Blaze:. Blaze connection strings need a filename after the 'Blaze:'. This would be something like myfile.blz. Look at some of the connection strings in the sample applications to get an idea. Then the session name goes in the RecSrcSession property of the form. Or you could set the DefaultSession property in the application.

By the way I don't think default Blaze Database worls. You have to explicitly create one. I have tried creating a session without a database file. I am surprized that it lets you create tables with out a database. It must be keeping it in memory. But notice that if you disconnect the session and reconnect, all the database objects disappear.

Hope this helps.
Kasu Sista, Co-Author OPO Developer's Guide Links Technology Corp.
Chicago, IL Received on Tue Sep 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message