Re: dbstart -- file 'xx' needs media recovery

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org>
Date: 1995/09/03

sahmad_at_mfa.com writes in article <42b73m$80g_at_homer.alpha.net>:

> The machine ( HP 9000) running HP-UX and Oracle 7
>
> When the machine rebooted oracle did not start and
> it said that file 'xxx' needs media recovery.
>
> The media was fine. I did an
> alter database recover data file 'xxx';
>
> and database was mounted ok.
>
> the only odd thing that happened was that
> the data file that oracle was complaining about was
> being backed up and END BACKUP was not done on it
> when a kill -9 was done for the backup job; but
> Oracle should have been able to recover in that case ???

Some weeks ago, the same thing happend to me.

Suppose someone is doing a SHUTDOWN ABORT to the database, and then a STARTUP. If your backup is still running and Oracle does automatically recover the datafile, then your backup will be useless (remember, that is the reason why you are doing a BEGIN BACKUP...). So, because ORACLE does not know on STARTUP if it was a machine crash or a SHUTDOWN ABORT, I think it will go the "safe" way...

> --
> * Saad Ahmad *
> * McHugh Freeman & Associates, Inc. *
> * Ph: (414) 798-8606 Ext. 457 *
> * Fax: (414) 798-8619 *
> * E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com *

 Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet              2:2474/117  2:2474/118
      willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org      VFC        ISDN/X.75
   -> No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-