Re: How to insert records by descending order of date ...

From: Joe Nardone <joe_at_access1.digex.net>
Date: 1995/09/01

RAJESH V.R (vrraj_at_india.hp.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: I need to insert say, 1000 records from table A into table B
: by descending order of A.some_date, where some_date is a date field.
: Since I cannot use order by clause in an insert statement,
: is there any other way of doing it ?

By design, you can't assume even if you insert the records in a particular order that they will be stored that way.

If you need the records in date order, use the order by clause when you select them back out (this assumes, of course, that you're storing the old a.some_date as part of the new records...)

Joe

: Thanks and Regards,
: Rajesh V R.

--