Re: ROWNUM. can anybody clarify this to me.

From: S. Kannan <skannan_at_cardinal.fs.com>
Date: 1995/08/30

Singapore Airlines Ltd (engsys_at_merlion.singnet.com.sg) wrote:
: HI,

: I have some basic doubts with the usage of ROWNUM.

: I generally used to append a condition
: WHERE rownum = 1
: for the SQL statements that check for the existence of a record.

: Does this stmt get all the records that satisfy the condition before
: rownum = 1 and then use this condition or
: the first instance itself it gets only one record ?

: Thanks for clarifying this to me.

: laxmi.

Hi Laxmi,

A Rownum = 1 condition will scan all rows and then return the first row. Rownums are assigned only at row retrieval. (And before the rows are ordered)

Hope this answers your question.

Kannan
Email: skannan_at_fs.com
Mastech Systems Corporation

The above are my own comments and opinion. They do not purport that of
anybody else.