Re: Export takes too long:

From: Alex W. Zhang <azhang_at_rdcs.kodak.com>
Date: 1995/08/30

>>I am managing a 25 G Management Decision Support System on a
>>Sparc1000(2 cpu's). We run cold backups once every 15 days and
>>exports every week. The cold backups take around 15 hours.
>>The exports (have been broken down ) take a long time. Around
>>10-12 hours for each backup. The way my backups work is that
>>I export to a pipe, compress it and use dd to put it on to the tape.
>>My export files should be around 4 to 5 Megs after compression. I have not
>>tried exporting to disk and then dumping to tape for want to disk.
>>Any suggestions (hardware/software) to reduce the backup time.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>--irfan
>>
>>p.s. I have the 8500 exabyte differential tape drive.

Hi, irfan:

  I have the similar situation as you do. And it only takes me less than an hour
to backup ORACLE files onto a 5 GB exabyte tape. I noticed you used "dd" and if you are doing backup on a remote tape device, you may need to upgrade your network card to speed up the traffic. Also, you may not do the compress if the tape device you have has compression capability.

By the way, I am doing UFSDUMP during the ORACLE database shutdown. And I am fingering about the best way to do export. Any good suggestions will be appreciated.

Alex W. Zhang, Systems Consultant			voice (716) 726-9443
Rochester Distributed Computing Services		pager (716) 975-3286
Eastman Kodak Company, World Headquarter	e-mail azhang_at_rdcs.kodak.com