Cost-Based or Rule-Based - What's Your Experience

From: Cherie Machler <machl001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: 1995/08/27

We are running version 7.1.6 of Orace server on the HP(UX).

A while back I read here that there were a lot of bugs on the new cost-based optimization when it was first released. Have those bugs been cleaned up with patches and upgrades?

We have been experimenting with cost-based optimization on slow SQL statements as they crop up. The results have been good in these few cases using cost-based optimization. We're toying with the idea of using cost-based as the default.

Several books recommend continuing to use rule-based as the default (I guess until the dust settles or you're such an expert that you have total confidence in using cost-based).

What has the experience been out there with more recent releases of Server software and using cost-based optimization. Are we going down the wrong path?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cherie Machler

Cherie Machler
machl001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu Received on Sun Aug 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message