Oracle Developer/2000

From: IRIS-IFEC Co. <irisifec_at_comnet3.ksc.net.th>
Date: 1995/08/26

Dear All,

Yesterday, we have witnessed a terrifec presentation on Developer/2000 from Oracle-Thailand here in Bangkok. I would like to express my thanks to Oracle, Inc. for introducing such a comprehensive and well thought-out product to the client/server market.

I have 3 questions to ask on this forum:

  1. Oracle supports row-level locking (and supports so well as we have seen it yesterday). I was wondering about field-level locking though. Is it possible, or necessary at all for that matter? Just curious!
  2. We all know that Borland Delphi gives us stand alone .EXE applications when development is finished, and we all know the sheer advantages of that. Yesterday, at the end of the presentation they showed us the sizes of the executable binaries. They were around the range of 40-50 K, which is by itself wonderful, but not "stand-alone", because the whole suite uses unified libraries among their separate products. Does Oracle plan to take the road of Delphi, simple because of the advantages of stand alone apps.
  3. Also yesterday, we have seen that Developer/2000 can easily connect to DBs from other vendors, e.g., Sybase, Informix, etc., etc., thru MS-ODBC interface for Windows. I raised a question on Progress connectivity. The answer was "YES", of course, with Progress ODBC drivers. What I am wondering is (maybe I should ask this on Progress forum!!), are there ODBC drivers for Progress v6 (I heard, there already are for v7).

        Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work Oracle !!

-EG- Received on Sat Aug 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message