Re: Shutdown and startup by Non dba: Question

From: Pratul.Sharma <appy_at_churchill>
Date: 1995/08/25

In article <41ie3a$178e_at_hopi.gate.net> shahmiri_at_news.gate.net (Irfan A. Shahmiri) writes:
>Hi Folks,

Irfan,

You can do this very easily in oracle7 by: 1. creating a password file using the utility 'orapwd' 2. setting the 'REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE' to

  1. EXCLUSIVE if the file is to be used with one database only, or
  2. SHARED if to be used by multiple databases.
  3. grant permissions to the used you want to give permissions to say scott (not a very good idea :) ) as: GRANT SYSDBA to scott and GRANT SYSOPER to scott
  4. He/she can then connect via sqlbda as:

   connect scott/tiger as SYSOPER
   or
   connect internal as SYSDBA

We are using the above setup here for exactly the same purpose and till now haven't had any problem.

If you have any questions refer:

   Chapter: Database Connection Security    in ORACLE7 Server Documentation Addendum Release 7.1 First Edition.

Or send me an E-mail. !!

Pratul Sharma
DBA
AT&T GIS Columbia SC
email: appy_at_churchill.ColumbiaSC.ATTGIS.COM