Re: Apply redo logs?

From: Mark A. Abell <mabell_at_mhs.oz.au>
Date: 1995/08/20

It is not a problem. I have implemented this at the Reserve Bank of Australia for their currency trading system. This provides a hot backup system that is no more than one redo log out of sync.

You have to turn archive loging on.
Copy the archive logs to the standby machine. recover against a copy of the production database. ("recover database until cancel using backup controlfile") Do not fully startup the backup database at any time until needed for disaster recovery.

The bottom line - It works, it is stable & Oracle support it. It is the best way to set up a 24x7 site.

Have Fun...
Mark A. Abell

In article <412396$6mb_at_newstand.syr.edu> wgriedy_at_mailbox.syr.edu (William G. Riedy) writes:
>I am the DBA of both an Oracle and a MS SQL Server system. I am fairly
>certain that what I am about to ask can not be done but I need to ask
>the question anyway.
>
>Is there a way in Oracle to apply the redo logs to a server if there has
>NOT been a disaster on your server (e.g. media failure)?
>
>Why am I asking this? Well my Oracle system is a mission critical OLTP
>system and I am looking for ways to minimize my down time in the event
>of a disaster. The scenario that I am cooking up in my head involves
>having 2 machines, one being the true production server and the other
>being a warm backup machine. Warm in the sense that it requires manual
>intervention to make it into the production system, and it may not have
>absolutely the most recent transactions, perhaps missing the last 15-30
>minutes of transactions.
>
>In MS SQL Server this is entirely feasible. With MS SQL server you can
>apply the transaction log dumps to another database (on the same or
>another machine).
>
>A reply via email would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
> William G. Riedy
> Niagara Mohawk Gas
> wgriedy_at_nmgas.com

Mark A. Abell
Practical Solutions. Received on Sun Aug 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message